DELA ROSA. Senator Ronald dela Rosa walks from his office to talk to journalists at the Senate on May 12, 2026.DELA ROSA. Senator Ronald dela Rosa walks from his office to talk to journalists at the Senate on May 12, 2026.

Torre on arresting Bato: I have no choice if President Marcos orders me

2026/05/22 21:20
3분 읽기
이 콘텐츠에 대한 의견이나 우려 사항이 있으시면 [email protected]으로 연락주시기 바랍니다

When the Marcos government finally ordered a manhunt for International Criminal Court suspect Senator Bato dela Rosa, the public expectedly trained the spotlight on Nicolas Torre III. He, after all, made headlines for arresting doomsday preacher and trafficking suspect Apollo Quiboloy and then another ICC suspect former president Rodrigo Duterte one after another.

inside track logo

This time, would he be willing to arrest a fellow former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief and cavalier?

“‘Pag President [ang] nag-utos, automatic no choice, ‘di ba? (If the order comes from the President, we have bo choice but to follow, right?),” Torre said in a forum on Friday, May 22.

Ang pagtingin ko sa mga bagay na ‘yan, institutional (I look at matters like this as institutional). It’s not about a person, it’s not about me, it’s not about Senator Bato. It is about a process, it is about a system, it is about a law, and it is about a job,” Torre added.

Dela Rosa escaped from the Senate on May 14 — three days after his reappearance after hiding for six months — to continue evading his ICC warrant. He is wanted for a crimes against humanity case that stemmed from his alleged involvement in the Davao Death Squad and war on drugs killings.

On Thursday, May 21, the Marcos government finally ordered Dela Rosa’s arrest, after days of a wishy-washy stance. Too bad, however, that Dela Rosa is now in hiding again after being shielded for a few days by a Senate custody.

Must Read

Marcos gov’t is now willing to arrest Bato dela Rosa. What happens now?

The National Bureau of Investigation attempted to arrest Dela Rosa inside the Senate on May 11, but failed. This was why some people thought that Torre, a master of mind games, should lead the arrest of a high-profile suspect as Dela Rosa.

The problem now is that Torre had retired from the PNP and is currently the general manager of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA).

Torre’s rise

To recall: Torre rose from the ranks after nabbing Quiboloy and Duterte. He was promoted as the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group chief in September 2024 after leading the 16-day police operation that led to the doomsday preacher’s arrest. In May 2025, he was named the PNP chief some two months after Duterte’s arrest. 

However, he was sacked by Marcos in August that same year — barely three months later — after he got on the wrong side of Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla, who also chairs the National Police Commission, over police appointments. 

Remulla last week came to the Senate while Dela Rosa was still there, but didn’t arrest the senator, despite the existence of an ICC warrant. He went there after the shooting incident on May 13, saying he came to protect the senators, including Dela Rosa.

“The last time I checked, the Senate building is not under MMDA’s jurisdiction. It’s not a landfill, nor a waterway. That’s why we did not thoroughly probe what happened there,” Torre jokingly told the press.

Workaround

On a more serious note, the MMDA general manager told GMA’s DZBB on Friday that he will work around whatever falls under their jurisdiction at the MMDA.

Must Read

It took a Nicolas Torre to haul Rodrigo Duterte to The Hague

“That work [of arresting a suspect], that actually takes a whole-of-government approach. All of government institutions are part of it. That’s why, for us, if something falls under the MMDA’s jurisdiction, we will help,” Torre explained. – Rappler.com

시장 기회
ME 로고
ME 가격(ME)
$0.0953
$0.0953$0.0953
-0.82%
USD
ME (ME) 실시간 가격 차트

SPACEX(PRE) Launchpad Is Live

SPACEX(PRE) Launchpad Is LiveSPACEX(PRE) Launchpad Is Live

Start with $100 to share 6,000 SPACEX(PRE)

면책 조항: 본 사이트에 재게시된 글들은 공개 플랫폼에서 가져온 것으로 정보 제공 목적으로만 제공됩니다. 이는 반드시 MEXC의 견해를 반영하는 것은 아닙니다. 모든 권리는 원저자에게 있습니다. 제3자의 권리를 침해하는 콘텐츠가 있다고 판단될 경우, [email protected]으로 연락하여 삭제 요청을 해주시기 바랍니다. MEXC는 콘텐츠의 정확성, 완전성 또는 시의적절성에 대해 어떠한 보증도 하지 않으며, 제공된 정보에 기반하여 취해진 어떠한 조치에 대해서도 책임을 지지 않습니다. 본 콘텐츠는 금융, 법률 또는 기타 전문적인 조언을 구성하지 않으며, MEXC의 추천이나 보증으로 간주되어서는 안 됩니다.

No Chart Skills? Still Profit

No Chart Skills? Still ProfitNo Chart Skills? Still Profit

Copy top traders in 3s with auto trading!